JOB OPENING: Technical Director
3North is an award-winning Unified Design firm with studios in Richmond, VA, and San Francisco, CA. We believe great design only happens when multiple disciplines collaborate without walls or silos. That is why we have spent the past 20 years building a firm of architects, landscape architects, interior designers, and graphic designers who work across disciplines toward an integrated project vision. In 2019, we were awarded AIA Virginia’s Firm Award.
Our fast-paced and collaborative environment provides the opportunity to work across diverse project types, including hospitality, cultural, multifamily, corporate, and single-family residential.
We are looking for a talented, highly-motivated Technical Director with 10-20 years of high-caliber project experience. Candidates should have strong problem-solving skills and be motivated by the opportunity to carve out a unique role in a growing firm.
- Ensure meticulous QA/QC of all project contract documents, conducting thorough reviews and approvals. This may include the development of checklists and standards for all phases of project development.
- Collaborate with project teams to craft intricate and innovative details, for unique project types. Work closely with our Revit Specialist to create and integrate detailed families into our evolving standards library and enhance the crispness of project drawings.
- Provide technical support and mentor our professional staff, identifying and addressing documentation issues. Conduct in-house technical training sessions, fostering a deep understanding of code changes and advancements in construction technology.
- Work in tandem with our BIM Specialist to develop and maintain our architectural detail library, standardize Revit templates, and disseminate updated materials, ensuring an innovative approach to our design processes.
- Assist more experienced designers and provide direction to interns, technical drafters, and administrative staff.
- Tackle unusual design and technical challenges within large projects.
- Work collaboratively across multiple design disciplines.
QUALIFICATIONS AND SKILLS
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture.
- 10-20 years of related experience in an architectural practice.
- An architecture license is a prerequisite.
- Experience with BIM 360, Revit, Bluebeam Revu, MS Office.
- Comprehensive understanding of building codes, standards, building construction, and building systems.
- Experience with Construction Administration.
- Demonstrate experience across a variety of project types & design approaches.
- Excellent organization and time management skills.
- Demonstrate leadership proficiency and outstanding verbal and written communication abilities to foster a positive environment conducive to learning and professional advancement at all levels within the 3North team.
Please include a cover letter, resume, and work samples demonstrating a wide range of skills in a single PDF document not to exceed 5Mb in size. Include “3North Technical Director” in the subject line and send to [email protected].
3North is an equal opportunity employer.